Month: October 2013
How do I rebuild grub after Windows 8 installation
Recently I had updated my System which was dual booted (Debian and Windows 7) from Windows 7 to Windows 8, During the installation process I had messed up with Grub boot loader. Once after the upgrade my Grub has vanished and I was able to boot up only Windows 8.
A bit disappointed thinking about windows Not giving an option to Select a boot loader of my choice, I started looking back on my System admin skills and finally here’s how I recovered my Boot loader.
1. Boot from a CD or Live USB.
2. Go to Linux rescue.
3. Get the partition tables for the hard disk devices using fdisk command, and find out the linux root file system, in mycase it was /dev/sda6
# fdisk -l
4. mount the root filesystem using the mount command.
#mount /dev/sda6 /recover
5. mount /proc and /dev filesystems
#mount -t proc none /recover/proc
#mount -o bind /dev /recover/dev
7. Now chroot to the mounted root filesystem
8. Now do grub-install to reinstall grub
9. Grub-install finished without error and I was able to dual boot from Grub after a Reboot.
Installing Oracle Virtual Box in Windows 8
I have installed Oracle Virtual Box in Windows 8 and it worked pretty Cool, and now I can create and experiment on all flavor of OS. And here are a few installation screenshots for Oracle Virtual Box version 4.3.0.
This is the latest version available for download from Oracle Website, and here’s the link if your are lazy to Google 🙂
As mentioned in one of my previous pots, Oracle virtual Box is one of the best Free virtualization software available currently and works in a Desktop/home PC setup.
So here goes the installation screenshots.
1. Click on the virtual Box downloaded exe, this is what you see, click ‘next’
2. select the installation location, there is no harm in keeping the default settings, and click “next”
3. click on “next”
4. Click “Yes ” and proceed to the next step
5. Installation process begins 🙂
6. Click on “install” for installing Oracle Corporation drivers for better system devices sync.
7. Click “Finish ” to complete the installation, and there you go.
And you are ready to create VM’s of own.
Blackberry has released BBM for android and ios
Blackberry has released BBM app for android and ios devices, I’m still trying to configure BBM on my android device.
BBM for Android and iPhone features:
- BBM Chat – Enjoy real, immediate conversations with friends on Android, iPhone and BlackBerry smartphones. Not only does BBM let you know that your message has been delivered and read, it also shows you that your friend is responding to the message.
- More than chat – With BBM you can share files on your phone such as photos and voice notes, all in an instant.
- Keep your group in the loop – Multi-person chats are a great way to invite contacts to chat together. BBM Groups lets you invite up to 30 friends to chat together, and go a step further than multi-chat by sharing photos and schedules. And, with Broadcast Message, you can send a message out to all your BBM contacts at once.
- Post Updates and stay in the know – BBM lets you post a personal message, profile picture and your current status, and lets your contacts know instantly in Updates.
- Your unique PIN – Every BBM user has a unique PIN that maintains your privacy, so you don’t have to give out your phone number or email address to a new or casual contact.
BBM for android: click here
BBM for ios: click here
Please find Android screenshots for BBM
VMware Workstation 10 now supports Windows 8.1
With the release of Windows 8.1, VMware has added support of Windows8.1 to Vmware workstation 10. The Unity mode has been enhanced to seamlessly work with Windows 8.1 UI changes.Workstation 10 can now convert a Windows 8.1 physical PC to a virtual machine.
VMware Workstation 10 features
- Support for 16 vCPUs, 8 TB SATA disks and 64GB of RAM
- New Virtual SATA disk controller
- Now supporting 20 virtual networks
- USB3 streams support for faster file copying
- Improved application and Windows VM startup times
- SSD Pass through
Microsoft Remote Desktop for Android and ios
Microsoft released its Remote Desktop application for both Android and iOS. This makes it easy to control your Windows desktop from your Android or iOS device.
Microsoft Remote Desktop (Free) | Google Play
Microsoft Remote Desktop (Free) | iTunes App Store
Here comes Ubuntu 13.10!
Ubuntu 13.10 Code named “Saucy Salamander” is released for the desktop, server, phone, and cloud – download it here.
Ubuntu 13.10 introduces the first release of Ubuntu for phones and Ubuntu Core for the new 64-bit ARM systems (the “arm64” architecture, also known as AArch64 or ARMv8), and improved AppArmor confinement. In addition to these flagship features there are also major updates throughout.
Ubuntu Server 13.10 includes the Havana release of OpenStack, alongside deployment and management tools that save devops teams time when deploying distributed applications – whether on private clouds, public clouds, x86 or ARM servers, or on developer laptops. Several key server technologies, from MAAS to Ceph, have been updated to new upstream versions with a variety of new features.
Maintenance updates will be provided for Ubuntu 13.10 for 9 months, through July 2014
Users of Ubuntu 13.04 will be offered an automatic upgrade to 13.10 via Update Manager. For further information about upgrading, see:
For release notes visit here
Chrome tip: How to bookmark a bunch of Tabs related to the same topic
Let’s say you’ve opened a bunch of Tabs related to the same topic and you’d like to read them later.
Here comes the magic Chrome Keyboard Shortcut: <Ctr> + <Shift> + d
This will prompt you to pick a bookmark folder where to save all your Tabs and next time you want to read them, Just got to the bookmarked folder and you’ll just need a three finger tap on it (or middle click with a mouse).
Windows 8.1 and Windows RT 8.1 are now available online and in the Windows Store.
The final versions of Windows 8.1 and Windows RT8.1 are available online and in windows store for download. Windows 8.1 preview is no longer available for download. You must install the final version of Windows 8.1 or Windows RT 8.1 before January 2014 when the license the preview will expire. If you’ve been using the preview, you should update to the final edition as soon as possible to avoid an interruption in using your PC.
For up-gradtion help to windows 8.1 from Windows vista or Xp , refer here
For buying Microsoft Windows 8.1, Visit Microsoft Online Store
Do you want to check how Fast is Your Local DNS Server?
Do you want to check how fast is your local DNS server? Then Chrome has the answer And here it is!
Hit this on your google chrome browser and see the results.
Comming soon Blackberry Cloud Service to manage users and apps on all mobile devices
Blackberry has announced an upcoming Blackberry Cloud service that will enable enterprises to manage user and apps on ios, Android and Blackberry devices. The cloud service will be built to meet both business and end user needs. This service promotes BYOD concept to a new level.
As per Blackberry Blog, all this flexible package will cost less than a cup of coffee a month.
Features listed are
- Simple and fast deployment: No hardware or software to install, just register and get going.
- Easy administration: The simple Web-based admin console will provide easy activation and deployment of BlackBerry, iOS and Android™ smartphones, app management, security policy configuration and compliance monitoring.
- user can manage devices through self-service console