Amazon workspaces brings desktop computing to cloud
Amazon WorkSpaces product gives Enterprise IT the power to meet this challenge head-on. You can now have a provision of desktop computing experience in the cloud for your users. Your users can access the applications, documents, and intranet resources that they need to get their job done, all from the comfort of their desktop computer, laptop, iPad, or Android tablet.
WorkSpaces Feature Set
Amazon WorkSpaces provides, as I have already mentioned, a desktop computing experience in the cloud. It is easy to provision and maintain, and can be accessed from a wide variety of client devices.
Each WorkSpaces user can install the client application on the device of their choice. After a quick download, they have access to a complete Windows 7 experience in the cloud, with persistent storage, bundled utilities and productivity applications, and access to files and other resources on the corporate intranet.
The IT professional chooses to supply each user with a given WorkSpaces Bundle. There are four standard bundles. Here are the hardware specifications for each one:
- Standard – 1 vCPU, 3.75 GiB of memory, and 50 GB of persistent user storage.
- Standard Plus – 1 vCPU, 3.75 GiB of memory, and 50 GB of persistent user storage.
- Performance – 2 vCPU, 7.5 GiB of memory, and 100 GB of persistent user storage.
- Performance Plus – 2 vCPU, 7.5 GiB of memory, and 100 GB of persistent user storage.
All of the bundles include Adobe Reader, Adobe Flash, Firefox, Internet Explorer 9, 7-Zip, the Java Runtime Environment (JRE), and other utilities. The Standard and Performance Plus bundles also include Microsoft Office Professional and Trend Micro Worry-Free Business Security Services. The bundles can be augmented and customized by the IT professional in order to meet the needs of specific users.
Each user has access to between 50 and 100 GB of persistent AWS storage from their WorkSpace (the precise amount depends on the bundle that was chosen for the user). The persistent storage is backed up to Amazon S3 on a regular basis, where it is stored with 99.99999999% durability and 99.99% availability over the course of a year.
Pricing is on a per-user, per-month basis, as follows:
- Standard – $35 / user / month.
- Standard Plus – $50 / user / month.
- Performance – $60 / month.
- Performance Plus – $75 / user / month.
Here’s Google’s Tour Builder
Tour Builder a Google Earth Experiment, is a new way to show people the places you have visited and the experiences you had along the way using Google Earth. It lets you pick the locations right on the map, add in photos, text, and video, and then share your creation.
And here’s the sample gallery’s for a tour
Visit Tour Builder
Installing Oracle Virtual Box in Windows 8
I have installed Oracle Virtual Box in Windows 8 and it worked pretty Cool, and now I can create and experiment on all flavor of OS. And here are a few installation screenshots for Oracle Virtual Box version 4.3.0.
This is the latest version available for download from Oracle Website, and here’s the link if your are lazy to Google 🙂
As mentioned in one of my previous pots, Oracle virtual Box is one of the best Free virtualization software available currently and works in a Desktop/home PC setup.
So here goes the installation screenshots.
1. Click on the virtual Box downloaded exe, this is what you see, click ‘next’
2. select the installation location, there is no harm in keeping the default settings, and click “next”
3. click on “next”
4. Click “Yes ” and proceed to the next step
5. Installation process begins 🙂
6. Click on “install” for installing Oracle Corporation drivers for better system devices sync.
7. Click “Finish ” to complete the installation, and there you go.
And you are ready to create VM’s of own.
Blackberry has released BBM for android and ios
Blackberry has released BBM app for android and ios devices, I’m still trying to configure BBM on my android device.
BBM for Android and iPhone features:
- BBM Chat – Enjoy real, immediate conversations with friends on Android, iPhone and BlackBerry smartphones. Not only does BBM let you know that your message has been delivered and read, it also shows you that your friend is responding to the message.
- More than chat – With BBM you can share files on your phone such as photos and voice notes, all in an instant.
- Keep your group in the loop – Multi-person chats are a great way to invite contacts to chat together. BBM Groups lets you invite up to 30 friends to chat together, and go a step further than multi-chat by sharing photos and schedules. And, with Broadcast Message, you can send a message out to all your BBM contacts at once.
- Post Updates and stay in the know – BBM lets you post a personal message, profile picture and your current status, and lets your contacts know instantly in Updates.
- Your unique PIN – Every BBM user has a unique PIN that maintains your privacy, so you don’t have to give out your phone number or email address to a new or casual contact.
BBM for android: click here
BBM for ios: click here
Please find Android screenshots for BBM
VMware Workstation 10 now supports Windows 8.1
With the release of Windows 8.1, VMware has added support of Windows8.1 to Vmware workstation 10. The Unity mode has been enhanced to seamlessly work with Windows 8.1 UI changes.Workstation 10 can now convert a Windows 8.1 physical PC to a virtual machine.
VMware Workstation 10 features
- Support for 16 vCPUs, 8 TB SATA disks and 64GB of RAM
- New Virtual SATA disk controller
- Now supporting 20 virtual networks
- USB3 streams support for faster file copying
- Improved application and Windows VM startup times
- SSD Pass through
Microsoft Remote Desktop for Android and ios
Microsoft released its Remote Desktop application for both Android and iOS. This makes it easy to control your Windows desktop from your Android or iOS device.
Microsoft Remote Desktop (Free) | Google Play
Microsoft Remote Desktop (Free) | iTunes App Store
Chrome tip: How to bookmark a bunch of Tabs related to the same topic
Let’s say you’ve opened a bunch of Tabs related to the same topic and you’d like to read them later.
Here comes the magic Chrome Keyboard Shortcut: <Ctr> + <Shift> + d
This will prompt you to pick a bookmark folder where to save all your Tabs and next time you want to read them, Just got to the bookmarked folder and you’ll just need a three finger tap on it (or middle click with a mouse).
Do you want to check how Fast is Your Local DNS Server?
Do you want to check how fast is your local DNS server? Then Chrome has the answer And here it is!
Hit this on your google chrome browser and see the results.
Comming soon Blackberry Cloud Service to manage users and apps on all mobile devices
Blackberry has announced an upcoming Blackberry Cloud service that will enable enterprises to manage user and apps on ios, Android and Blackberry devices. The cloud service will be built to meet both business and end user needs. This service promotes BYOD concept to a new level.
As per Blackberry Blog, all this flexible package will cost less than a cup of coffee a month.
Features listed are
- Simple and fast deployment: No hardware or software to install, just register and get going.
- Easy administration: The simple Web-based admin console will provide easy activation and deployment of BlackBerry, iOS and Android™ smartphones, app management, security policy configuration and compliance monitoring.
- user can manage devices through self-service console
How to get Pre-configured developer VMs?
Oracle gives pre configured Virtual machines, which can be configured in there free Oracle virtual box visualization software. Oracle has packed development tools into Oracle Virtual box VM appliances that we can download, install and experience. Import the free downloaded files into Oracle virtual Box and get started.
Some of these VMs are designed to support Developer Day workshops, and have specific hands on labs embedded in them, but they’re available to all.) Be sure to install VirtualBox first.
These are the current available VM’s for download
- Database App Development VM
- Enterprise Java Development VM
- Oracle VM Manager & Server VMs
- Oracle Linux 6 Admin VM
- Solaris 11 Admin VM
- Oracle Tuxedo Web Application Server Demo VM
- Oracle Business Intelligence SampleAppV309
- SOA & BPM Development VM
- Enterprise PHP Development VM
See also: Oracle VM Templates for use with Oracle VM (production use and redistribution are OK)